Adirondack Hotel Flood Relief Sept 24Friends of the Adirondack Hotel, will hold a fund-raiser Sept. 24 to help pay for fixing flood damage at the historic structure.
The hotel was inundated during last spring’s flooding, when the waters of Long Lake rose to the third step of the front porch, over 18 feet above normal summer levels. The Hotels’ boilers, front porch, parking lot and more were extensively damaged.
Adirondack Hotel Flood Relief will run from 2 p.m. Saturday to 2 a.m. Sunday with live music, a silent auction, food and t-shirts. T-shirts are available now at the hotel’s gift shop and tap room.
Fan the Adk Flood Relief on Facebook Adirondack Hotel Flood Relief Event on Facebook
Tickets at $30 each / $50 per couple may be bought beforehand at Helms Village Store, Natural Beauty, Shear Images and the Adirondack Hotel in Long Lake; The Bear Trap in Indian Lake; or at the door.
The hotel is open year-round, employing over 30 people. Flood insurance will not cover the damages because the water did not reach the first floor.
The Adirondack Hotel has lots of history. Read on.
The Timeline and History
Cyrus Kellogg opened the Long Lake Hotel in 1867. This hotel was located where Hoss’s Country Corner now stands. The hotel was at the crossroads of the Champlain-Carthage Road with Long Lake’s Main Street.
On February 20, 1869, the annual town meeting was held at the Long Lake Hotel where it was decided to “raise $3,000 in three equal installments for the purpose of building a bridge across Long Lake.”
It would be a wooden floating bridge sixteen feet wide and would extend across the lake from the east shore to Pine Island and from Pine Island to Ike Robinson’s land on the west shore of the lake. The bridge was completed in 1871.
Kellogg refitted and enlarged the Long Lake Hotel in 1875 and turned the hotel over to Henry D. Austin.
Mr. Kellogg then built a new hotel on the shore facing Pine Island near the east end of the Long Lake bridge, guaranteeing a heavily traveled location in one of the most scenic spots in the Adirondacks along the shores of Long Lake.
The new hotel was known as Kellogg’s Lake House. Cyrus Kellogg died shortly after the opening on April 4, 1879. Mrs. Kellogg ran the Lake House for many years offering “many home comforts for 35 guests.” The town held its annual meetings in the hotel in 1883 and 1884.
In 1893, the hotel was sold to John Anderson, Jr. and Dennis Moynehan, Jr. of Newcomb. In 1894, the hotel was being managed by Patrick McSweeney.
By 1897, the floating bridge was unusable and a town ferry was built and put into operation until such time as a new bridge could be constructed.
In 1899, W. F. McCarthy became the manager. It is rumored that President McKinley stayed at Kellogg’s Lake House, probably before he became President.
A town meeting authorized an iron bridge in 1892 but nothing was done until the spring of 1901.
That same year, the hotel burned to the ground.
The plan to replace the floating bridge was to place a bridge from where the Kellogg Lake House had been to Pine Island, a short piece of road over Pine Island and then the iron bridge to the west shore. The two bridges cost $35,000 and were completed in November, 1901.
Shortly thereafter, Kellogg’s Lake House was rebuilt by Patrick Moynehan who was also in charge of building the new bridges. The hotel re-opened in 1904 as the Adirondack Hotel.
In 1914, the hotel expanded adding a dining room wing and the second dormer. In September that year, the Adirondack Hotel was sold by Patrick Moynehan to Lewis L. and Margaret Jennings (parents of Arthur Jennings, the father of today’s Long Lakers’ Jim Jennings and Margie Jonasch.)
The Hotel Adirondack was touted in 1923 as offering “excellent rooms, light, airy and attractively furnished. Meals were pronounced universally good, with first class service. There were modern accommodations for 75 persons from $25 per week.”
In 1924, Duncan J. McFarland, a summer resident, managed the hotel and a new drainage system for the hotel was authorized at public expense.
Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan stayed at the hotel in the 1920s. 1928 visitors included Governor Alfred E. Smith and Albany mayor, John Thatcher.
A 1930s guest, was boxing champion Jack Dempsey, who came for lunch.
Lewis Jennings died in 1933, subsequently, his son, Arthur and Arthur’s wife, Frances, ran the hotel until 1946.
In 1934 the dam at Long Lake was constructed “flooding 45 acres of marsh land with three embankments: one from Pine Island to Middle Island, another to the Sagamore shore, with a third embankment from Pine Island to the shore of the Adirondack Hotel property.”
The short bridge was eliminated replaced by the latter embankment.
The iron bridge was replaced by the present day steel bridge installed by the American Bridge Company in 1939.
Albert Einstein came with friends, probably for lunch, in the 1940s when looking for a summer vacation area.
In 1946, the Hotel Adirondack was purchased by Edmund “Ged” J. Clement. During these and the following years the hotel was open spring, summer and fall and closed during the winter months.
Chester Ehrbar of Summit, NJ purchased the hotel in 1964.
In 1968, Bob and Judy Lucci bought the hotel from Chet Ehrbar and opened it a year later after renovations. They asked Millie & Bill Safford to move to Long Lake and manage the hotel which they did for circa 20 years.
Mickey Mantle was a guest in the 1980s.
The Luccis ran the hotel a few summers eventually selling it to Art and Carol Young in 1990 who planned on operating the hotel year-round.
Art and Carol made many improvements and reopened in the fall of 1990 with Edward “Ed” Rockstroh as manager. There were 18 guest rooms, relaxing sitting rooms, an elegant dining room with fireplace and a rustic barroom. Michael Chikliss of the tv show “The Commish” stopped in for lunch.
April, 2011, The 100 Year Flood occurred. The hotel closed until power was restored a few days later. The cellar was flooded and boilers were ruined as was the food in coolers which were no longer cool. The Army National Guard and Long Lake’s Volunteer Firemen provided pumps to help clear the cellar of water. The pumps were finally turned off at the end of May. The cellar is now dry. There was flood insurance, but, with a $50,000 deductible. The only things covered by insurance were the cellar and the boilers and those costs came nowhere near $50,000. Damage to the driveway, kitchen floor, veranda, loss of business etc. was not eligible for coverage. Total damage amounted to $130,000.
As of today, Carol is still at the helm with her husband Carmine Inserra and her god-daughter, Margie, as Manager.
On Saturday, September 24, 2011, friends of the hotel plan a fundraiser to help defray some of the cost from the flood not covered by insurance.
History of Hamilton County
By Ted Aber and Stella King
The Schenectady Gazette
Long Lake Hotel guests step back into 1900s Adirondacks
July 31, 2005
The Tupper Lake Free Press
The Bridges Over Long Lake
By Thomas T. Bissell
Long Lake Archives
Town of Long Lake